Contact Page

Gear Ratio
Tire Size
Metric Tire Size
RTI (ramp)
Ring & Pinion
Liters to CID
Ideal Ratio Chart

Fixit Till It Breaks:
08 JK Bodywork
Her 08 Jeep JK
94 ZJ 3.5" LongArm
94 ZJ Red Paint
94 ZJ Fender Trim
94 ZJ 2" Lift
94 ZJ Lock-Right
My 94 Jeep ZJ
Broken Tire
My 83 Suburban

Reader's Links
Add a link

My Moab Trips:
Steel Bender 3½
Moab Rim 4+
Potato Salad Hill
Poison Spider 3½
Golden Spike 4½+
Steel Bender 3½
Misc Photos

Other 4x4 Trips:
Barnwell Mtn TX
Warm Snow in CO
Medano Pass CO

Readers Offerings:
Dean’s Album
Aaron’s F350
Adam’s F150
Dean’s Moab 99
79 Suburban
David & Goliath
Marty’s 4xSub
Tall Blazer
89 GMC Suburban
99 Bottles of...
Found my Thrill...
S-10 Towing Ford
Thumper! «


        Project "Thumper" began in Sep. "96. We bought a military 2 ˝ ton truck complete with a 30 ton winch. First we shortened the wheelbase to 117" (the same length as a Chevy short bed), then lifted it with 8" blocks. A set of springs from a ‘52 Ford 2-ton (don’t tell Dad!) softened the ride. To accommodate a set of 1600-20 Military tires (52" high), we had to make our own wheels. We used four military wheels and four Daytons. They were cut and welded together to form four wheels, 20x14" wide. We were running the original cab (1950) and motor. We were very pleased with the performance until the flywheel came off and fractured the bellhousing. At this point we decided to start over.

        For creature comfort, we purchased a ‘79 Chevy Silverado body originally equipped with a diesel engine. The powerplant required would have to be a cool-running torque machine built to withstand the abuse of off-road/no-road 4-wheeling. We chose the powertrain from a ‘65 GMC road tractor: a V671 Detroit backed with a 5 speed road-ranger tranny. This feeds a Rockwell transfer case equipped with a Reb. Kit from Memphis Eqpt. Co. This kit enables the driver to manually dis-engage four-wheel drive. Differentials are Rockwell top-loaders, 2 ˝ ton. A radiator from a

5-ton truck equipped with a 671 Detroit was reworked to accommodate the V671 and the short Chevy clip. Dual flex-fans from Summit are controlled by an adjustable thermostat. We raised the suspension to 12". The body was mounted on 8" channel iron. The driveshafts were reworked and tiebolts were made. The motor and tranny were installed on the new 8" frame. Total lift is 20". A pair of large chains from the frame to the bottom plate of the tiebolts holds the front end in place (this enables mounting large obstacles). A pair of heavy eyebolts on each end of the truck are for the unforeseen or uh-ohs. A pair of 3" aluminum straight pipes remove the fumes and smoke from the nasty 2-stroke supercharged diesel. This motor produces enormous torque at idle (500 ft/lbs): with the gears engaged the tires slip on gravel each time the cam rolls over. And I did say "roll" as in roller cam! Steering is by John Deere: the pilot-actuated steering valve came off a combine, the pump from a cottonpicker. These control a 24x2" cylinder with a 10" stroke. Fluid coupling enables excellent control of the 52" tires in the woods without steering-wheel shock or jerk. The battery compartment is located under the bed and welded to the frame. This allows easy access for service. The original brakes were removed and a single disc brake from a Ford LTD was installed. We positioned the rotor between the transfer case and the rear driveshaft. This device works great! In fact it will completely lock the rear tires on asphalt. The main advantage is the brakes stay "high and dry".

       The entire project is not yet complete….. many thanks to all my friends’ free labor and advice. Special thanks to my Dad for all his time, labor, and advice. I’d also like to thank the girls (Tammy and Mom) for not killing us, as this many-month adventure took place. As for the cost, it wasn’t stated for the above reasons!!!!



e-mail: pblanch@roman.net


PS: This machine is not a daily driver! But it’ll pull the doors off Hades!

Copyright © 1997-2019 by Mark Medina - www.4Lo.com